Beyond the Hill

5 local restaurants to get you into the holiday spirit

Max Mimaroglu | Asst. Photo Editor

A staple of the Syracuse restaurant scene, Pastabilities’ winter menu features specials like the green chili alfredo gnocchi with blackened shrimp and the creamy mac and cheese bake.

When it comes to restaurants around Syracuse University’s campus, it can be difficult to find a place with a cozy, sit-down meal. If the Syracuse tundra is where you’ll be spending your winter break, it might be a good idea to take yourself out for a warm, holiday inspired meal at one of these Syracuse spots that curate a menu for the winter.

Phoebe’s Restaurant & Coffee Lounge

Phoebe’s Restaurant and Coffee Lounge, located on East Genesee Street directly across from the Syracuse Stage, is a cozy place to enjoy the holidays in Syracuse. The exposed brick, deep forest green upholstery and comforting coffee lounge can be the perfect place to indulge in one of their winter-inspired items.

“We enjoy refreshing our menus several times throughout the year and try to incorporate seasonal products as much as possible,” Phoebe’s general manager Angie Knox said.

Phoebe’s features three festive mocktails, including a sugar cookie latte, toasted marshmallow hot cocoa and the gingerbread iced coffee, which is both refreshing and filled with sweet spices that taste just like a classic gingerbread cookie.

For those 21 and older, Phoebe’s also features multiple specialty cocktails, such as the white chocolate snowflake martini, cranberry prosecco and the espresso martini, made with freshly brewed Recess espresso, which Knox said is their most popular offering.

Knox recommends the seasonal salad with mixed greens, candy cane beets, goat cheese, candied pecans, red onion and pomegranate vinaigrette to start. For a main course, the shrimp and grits or pork ossobuco is her favorite winter dish.

“The meat is so tender, it melts in your mouth. The pork is topped with spiced plum chutney and served smashed potatoes and makes the perfect comfort food for this time of year,” said Knox.

A close-up of a sugar cookie latte from Phoebe's

The sugar cookie latte is one of three festive drinks on the menu at Phoebe’s Restaurant & Coffee Lounge this winter. Courtesy of Angie Knox

Francesca’s Cucina

Another must-hit spot this winter is Francesca’s Cucina, located on North Salina Street. Their cocktail menu, for those 21 and older, constantly changes to reflect the season. Holiday cocktails include the Nutcracker martini with screwball whiskey, irish creme, chocolate swirls and a shot of espresso, and the fireside bourbon with bourbon, strawberry preserves, lemon juice and maple.

Olivia Davis, who has been working as a hostess for two years at Francesca’s, raved about their “A Christmas Carol”-themed cocktail, the Skrewged. She recommended it for those old enough to drink.

“The Skrewged is literally so good. It has screwball whiskey, vanilla eggnog, warm holiday spices, and a cinnamon stick,” Davis said. “The screwball whiskey is like peanut butter. Very much tastes like dessert, but gets you drunk.”

Mello Velo

Mello Velo, a half-bike-shop, half-cafe located on Canal Street, is perfect for brunch. From the indie rock playlist to its cluttercore interior, Mello Velo is a true comfort place that foodies will find themselves returning to anytime they need a change of scenery.

Mello Velo offers seven seasonal non-alcoholic drink specials, such as the eggnog chai, candy cane cocoa and evergreen matcha latte with matcha, pine syrup and milk.

They also feature eight holiday cocktails for people 21 and older such as the Nor’easter with vodka, orange liqueur, cranberry juice and lime; The Grinch with tequila, wahaka mezcal, matcha and cayenne and the Krampus with spiced rum, maple and eggnog.

Specials include the grilled broccoli salad and the “Flatbread of the Moment,” made with cranberry chutney, roasted curry turkey, apple, cheddar and arugula. These entrees will prepare you for one of their creative dessert specials.

The French apple cake with maple ginger custard drizzle, cheesecake with pomegranate glaze and the baked pear with fresh cranberries, pecans and honey are both a perfect twist on classic holiday sweets.

Strong Hearts

If holiday cocktails aren’t your thing or you’re not yet of age, Strong Hearts, an all-vegan restaurant located on East Fayette Street, offers holiday-inspired milkshakes and espresso drinks. Flavors include the holiday nog shake, earl gray shake, gingerbread shake, butter pecan latte, brown sugar cinnamon latte and the candy cane shake, which Meghan Wilson called a crowd favorite.

Wilson, who recently started working at Strong Hearts, shared her love for the candy cane shake.

“For this season, the candy cane shake has to be my favorite. It tastes very special,” she said.

Pastabilities

Pastabilities is an incredibly beloved and popular restaurant to visit in snowy Syracuse. With the comforting smell of fresh baguettes baking and the warm ambiance, Pastabilities can be a perfect place to go to with family or friends to celebrate the end of 2021.

Olivia Moen, a Syracuse native and SU sophomore studying marketing and advertising, shared how special going to Pastabilities is during the holidays.

“My family and I always happily wait in the cold for at least an hour just to be seated,” Moen said. “There is something so comforting and homey about the atmosphere inside. The lights inside the restaurant accompanied by the Christmas lights reflecting from the street are my favorite part.”

Holiday cocktails at the restaurant include the pomegranate-pear sangria, smokey pines, and Pasta’s rumchata with aged rum, créme de banane and house horchata.

Specials such as the roasted butternut squash and sausage lasagna, green chili alfredo gnocchi with blackened shrimp and the creamy mac and cheese bake will get you in the holiday spirit.

For Moen, a Pastabilities meal isn’t complete without filling up on bread and hot tomato oil before the entree even arrives.

“Sharing the bread and oil with my family is something that we only do during the holiday season. It’s something (we) share excitement for and makes me feel extremely comforted during the winter,” Moen said. “This appetizer has become deeply rooted in what makes our holiday special and slowly turned into a family tradition.”