Football Recruiting

Syracuse football recruiting: Class of 2018 lineman Willem Froumy commits to Syracuse

Courtesy of Sandy Healy

Willem Froumy committed to SU just one day after receiving a scholarship offer, his first from a power five school.

Class of 2018 offensive lineman Willem Froumy committed to Syracuse on Tuesday afternoon, Froumy confirmed to The Daily Orange. The tackle visited SU unofficially on Sunday, attending the “Dino Babers Football Camp.”

“When I went up this weekend (to Syracuse),” Froumy said, “everything clicked.”

At the camp, Froumy was hoping to show coaches his versatility, he said. Coming from an offense that is run heavy, he wanted to show his abilities to work in a passing offense.

“I’ll be redshirted most likely,” Froumy admitted. “I’ve got a lot of stuff to learn.”

SU first got in contact with Froumy in early May, Froumy said, and his primary recruiters were co-offensive coordinator/offensive line coach Mike Lynch and defensive coordinator/linebackers coach Brian Ward.

The Orange offered the recruit on Monday and he picked the Orange over Bryant, Maine, Massachusetts and New Hampshire a day later. Syracuse and Boston College were the two schools Froumy said he had sights set on, mostly due to conference and proximity. Syracuse was the first to come calling.

“I wanted to try and stay closer (to home),” Froumy said, citing the relative proximity of Syracuse to his hometown in Exeter, New Hampshire.

The 6-foot-6, 290 pound tackle has no stars from 247sports.com but bench presses 370 pounds and cleans 275, while also clocking a 4.56 shuttle, per his Hudl page.

Froumy is the 11th commit in Babers’ 2018 class at SU, and the second offensive lineman, joining four-star talent Tyrone Sampson Jr. Froumy is the only player from New Hampshire currently committed to SU. Track the rest of the 2018 class here.