ON CAMPUS

5 important New York state and Syracuse updates to catch up on

Last week, the New York State Senate criminalized revenge porn, Syracuse University gave updates on summer construction and former Whitman dean Kenneth Kavajecz's court hearing was adjourned for the sixth time.

Here are five important updates from the past week on news happening in New York state and on the Syracuse University campus.

New York state passes revenge porn bill
Computer terrorism illo

Daily Orange File Illustration

The New York State Senate passed a bill this week making the sharing of sexually explicit content of another person without their consent illegal. New York now joins a long list of states to pass legislation criminalizing revenge porn. This new bill amends existing legislation and states that individuals can be charged with the misdemeanor if they publicly share photos that had been taken consensually in a private relationship, according to Syracuse.com. The bill passed unanimously and made the act punishable by up to one year in jail or a fine of $1,000.

Tuition-free college programs being introduced across the country

greenfeld-2

New York state plans to adopt tuition-free college programs this fall, making free tuition coverage a possibility for more students. New York is not the first state to offer tuition coverage — Tennessee, Oregon and Arkansas have also implemented free tuition programs, and other states will soon be introducing their own plans. New York state’s Excelsior Scholarship Program will provide four-year, tuition-free college for students attending state public colleges and students in families whose annual income is less than or equal to $125,000. The Excelsior program will also cover tuition for two-, four- and specific five-year programs if students are enrolled in college full time and maintain the necessary GPA for their degree.

Residence hall renovations to be completed by fall semester 

Dellplain1

Codie Yan | Staff Photographer

According to a campus-wide email sent by the university the renovations of several of Syracuse University’s residence halls and buildings are expected to be complete before students return to campus in the fall. The multi-person bathrooms in Day and DellPlain halls will be updated and turned into single-use bathrooms. Other summer construction projects include roof replacement in the Center for Science and Technology, classroom upgrades in Link Hall, auditorium improvements in Watson Hall, replacement of the Hendricks Chapel steps, masonry and skylight repairs in Crouse College and replacement of the fire alarm system in Schine Student Center.

Court hearing for former Whitman dean Kenneth Kavajecz adjourned for the sixth time

083116_p_ken_jessicasheldon_pe-17

Kenneth Kavajecz, former dean of the Martin J. Whitman School of Management has had his court hearing adjourned for the sixth time. After Kavajecz was arrested last September and charged with patronizing a prostitute in the third degree, he pleaded not guilty to the misdemeanor. The former dean was arrested for paying $80 to an undercover police officer who was posing as a prostitute. Kavajecz is expected to appear in court on July 13.

Gallery: Weekly progression of summer construction

construction_codieyan_sp-1

Codie Yan | Staff Photographer

Syracuse University’s summer construction plans are in progress. Take a look at photos of the updates that have been made to the university’s residence halls and academic buildings so far this summer.